What We Do
The Parish Council comment on every planning application in the parish as a statutory consultee. The planning authority in Brampton is Carlisle City Council: it gives details of every planning application within the parish to the Parish Council for review and will take into account the councillors’ comments when coming to a decision.
Similarly, Cumbria County Council is the highway authority (although some of its maintenance is devolved to Carlisle City Council), but it consults the parish when it is considering any road scheme, for example the placing of double yellow lines, or the implementation of a cycle path.
The Parish Council owns and maintains the following property and land
- Moot Hall – is used for Council Meetings and the Tourist Information Centre is situated downstairs. It is also available for hire for coffee mornings and/or meetings. Please contact the clerk for availability.
- Market Place – cobbled area surrounding the Moot Hall used for weekly market on a Wednesday and monthly Farmers Market held on the last Saturday of each month.
- Brampton Cemetery – situated on Old Church Lane.
- Recreation Ground – situated on Gelt Road.
- Clay Dubbs – situated on Gelt Road, used as an allotment site. Clay Dubbs Allotment Association manage the site on behalf of the Parish Council.
- Gelt Woods – Covers approximately 26 acres part of which is designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI).
- The Mote – overlooks Brampton, has several footpaths well used by walkers.
- The Sands – open space on the eastern approach of the town.
- Mote Garden – small garden area at bottom of the Mote
- The Dandy – public footpath from Station Road to the train station.
- Lovers Lane – footpath from Millfield to Craw Hall.
- Murray Park – park and play area.Cotehill Park – used by the local cricket team.
- Drying Green, Elmfield – small play area.
- Bus shelters – 2 situated at The Sands.
- Capon Tree Memorial – memorial situated off Capon Tree Road.
- The Parish Council leases and maintains the following land Showfield Car Park – long stay car park situated off Gelt Road.
- King George V Playing Field – includes football pitches and play area.
- St. Martin’s Churchyard – situated behind St. Martin’s Church.
- Grass cutting
- Craw Hall/Gelt Road/Capon Tree/Clay Dubbs/Longtown Road-Church Lane/Milton phone box area.
- Seat maintenance
- Gelt Road/Church Lane/Capon Tree/Paving Brow.Flower beds
- Sands/Murray Park/St. Martin’s Church.
If you have a query or want to report a problem with any of the above property or require further information on any aspect of the Parish Council please contact the Clerk.